2 Cor 3:12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:
There is a lot less ambiguity in the word of God than you would think considering the bombardment of negativism generated by traditionalist, legalist, and religionist.
This is specially true to those who follow the Pauline method of “rightly dividing the word of truth”. A person who is stablished in “the faith” understands that “all the bible is for us but it is not all to us”. He will also understand where he is in God’s program.
In his epistles, Paul warns about misleading words. In this lesson we will look at what our apostle, the apostle to the Gentiles has to say about “plain words”.
1. Good Words - Rom 16:18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
There is nothing wrong with good words is there?
Language can be a dangerous thing in the hand of a capable enemy. Let’s consider Eve for just a moment.
What did she “understand” from her encounter with “good words” and fair speeches”?
Notice: Gen 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
So creation falls because of the Good WORDS that were used.
Eve’s heart was deceived and yours would have been too!
My dear friends there are those today who do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ and the DECEIVE the hearts of the simple.
Paul would remind us: 1 Cor 2:16 ... But we have the mind of Christ.
Some are easily swayed by good words and fair speeches, are you? When someone tries to rob or spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, do you let them do it without a battle of WORDS from the WORD?
Remember to remember:
1 Th 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
Now believe it and stand for it!
I am reminded of what Paul said in Galatians when the law observers came to spy out our liberty.
Gal 2:4 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage: 5 To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.
If the gospel of the grace of God is to continue with us we must know what it is and be ready, willing and able to defend it, preach it & teach it!
NEXT Notice that religion, not the message of grace, uses the “wisdom of words” to make the gospel of “none effect”.
2. Wise Words - 1 Cor 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
For example here are some of the “denominational wisdom of words” given in support of water baptism for this age.
Again, these words MAKE the cross of Christ of NONE effect.
We are to follow the Lord in believers baptism
- This one is not supported by one verse in any bible of any translation. It is pure denominational “dung”. In fact the Lord Jesus gave the reason he was baptized in Matthew 3:15 where he says it was to fulfil (fill up) all righteousness.
Paul baptized and so do we.
- Yes he did but he stopped and you didn’t.
- He also took a Jewish vow, healed the sick, raised the dead and spoke in tongues – all of which stopped AFTER the completion of the word of God. As is plainly states in 1 Cor. 13:8-12.
Baptism is necessary for salvation.
- It was the door to the Kingdom
If you were living 2,000 years ago
And if you were a Jew
And if you were looking for Messiah to show up
And if you were ready to receive him as KING.
Water baptism is a Hebrew water rite designed for the priesthood - Exo 29:4; Exo 30:20; Exo 40:12;
- And expanded to include all of Israel as that Kingdom of priest - Exo 19:6; Deu 10:15; Isa 61:6; 1 Pet 2:9
Rom 16:18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
- Some of the Cults that teach water baptism are: (the last 3 are American cults started in this country in the 1800's)
The Roman Catholic Church
The Russellites (Jehovah’s Witnesses)
The Campbellites ( Church of Christ)
The Smithites ( Mormons)
Just to name a few...
3. Enticing Words - 1 Cor 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: Col 2:4
The definition of enticing is very revealing:
· To provoke someone to do something through promises or persuasion.
Have you ever heard someone say:
Send me some seed money and God will send you a 100 fold in return?
How about: God will bless you if you will bless Israel.
Or if you have enough faith God will do this or that.
Can I say to you that God is not working that way today.
These are simply Enticing Words!
The health, wealth and prosperity gospel that is being preached today is NOT what God is doing today. The HWP gospel stands in direct contradiction to the teaching of Paul and I can prove it with 3 questions.
1. Was Paul healthy? - NO
2. Was Paul wealthy? - NO
3. Was Paul delivered from the circumstances of life? - NO
4. Man’s Wise Words - 1 Cor 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
5. Vain Words - Eph 5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
6. Flattering Words - 1 Th 2:5 For neither at any time used we flattering words, as ye know, nor a cloak of covetousness; God is witness:
7. Profitless Words - 2 Tim 2:14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.
There are word forms that denote the bible believer in the Age Of Grace -
1. 1 Tim 4:6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.
2. 1 Tim 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
3. 2 Tim 1:13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
4. 1 Th 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
The enemy of your soul uses the same bible and the same words as God does. He is very subtle. Understanding the doctrine, duty and destiny of the church the Body of Christ is the answer to religion, tradition and denominationalism.
And this answer is found in the Pauline epistiles. Paul says consider what I say and the Lord give thee understanding in all things (2Tim.2:7) and then follows this thought up by telling us that we are to "rightly divide" the word of truth. (Verse 15).
Read the words of Paul (given to him by the risen Christ), YOUR apostle, in the dispensation of the grace of God.